The only thing better than “programmer” art is “designer” art, but hey, this is the world as I’d like it! Nine “worlds” or just nine levels. I don’t really know what many of them will look like, or how to tie them together without losing the cohesive illusion of an open-world.
I think it’s increasingly important to draw specifically FOR the game, to cater to the 8.1×8.1 “pixels”. A rather intricate and specific drawing of a monster was almost completely blotted out when I took the original paper draft of the drawing and digitally drafted it in pixel-art.
I don’t really LIKE it, but I guess I can make it work. And furthermore, art’s gotta be prioritized. I’m a little concerned about the emptiness of the world, that there aren’t treasures or more monsters already.
I feel increasingly limited in terms of what’s possible, and I’m painting myself into a corner design-wise. I still have hope, but the going is slow.
Well, there was a death in the community here. A close friend. I took a week hiatus. Beyond that, I actually got lazy.
Rather than bombard the blog with a series of little things, I’ll say I’ve added a couple of new enemies. I’ve decided to forgo an open map of monsters, in favor of an arena-style battle system. The only open-world element left is exploring the world, evil crystals will follow you around and that initiates a battle.
A little disc-version of whatever terrain you’re on appears against a scrolling starfield. I’ve included in this picture almost every enemy so far. Typically only a few will appear.
There’s now some happy little Slime critters hopping around. They’re color-coded and the stronger they are the more they hop.
It occurs to me I had forgotten to share the attack poses for the Player characters. They’re animated, but I really wanted to share them mid-attack like this.
So….the Dragon boss was supposed to be two weeks ago. That means the game is two weeks behind schedule. That’s bad.
The dragon is now done, that’s good! It’s really silly, but it works alright enough. It’s back to business as usual here, working 8 hour days to get this done. I would be really happy with a workable demo of World 1 by the end of this week, but I’m not setting the bar so high that I can’t even reach it.
It’s after midnight, therefor technically Monday. As such I think it’s okay to say that after some short testing, I’ve decided to cut any particle effects. They’re nice enough, but they require that extra bit of memory I just can’t afford. I’m going to keep everything really simple instead by choosing to use animation to express what particle effects could, but without any extra code. One two-frame clip is worth just as much as (if not more than) ten 30-line single-pixel clips.
No I never got around to the Dragon last week, but we’ll see what this work-week holds.
This week, I guess it’s important to clarify, that the studio is closed weekends and Holidays. This Monday was Memorial Day, we were closed. That’s a good thing, but it was difficult to recover from a three-day weekend! What I’m trying to say is not a lot got done and I’m not happy with that.
A new enemy was added thus creating a new enemy-type, Shadows. This is a good thing.
Additionally, all Player-types now have complete animations for attacking and moving. They’ve been sorted and mostly standardized.
I think as the week wraps up, one more enemy needs to be implemented: a Dragon. I really hope that coming back from this next weekend things go a lot more smoothly and the work week is just that: a full work-week.
Added attacking animation for Magician Character, added a “fireball” prop/effect/bullet, and created a “Character Select” screen with mock-up stats and animated characters.
Finally got this blog just about where I want it. It has a shorthand url (decstudios.tk), videos embed themselves and play from the blog, and even the YouTube section is coming along. Overall I’m really pleased and ready for a nap….Happy Saturday!